Phoenix 1 & 2 (9)

 I don't think I have actually read any of Osamu's works but I have always known of his work like Astro boy. At first reading Pheonix, it took some time for me to get used to the style since it is very cartoonish despite some of the violence and deaths that happen in the story but I felt despite how cartoonish the style was the death still felt very impactful and sometimes sudden like very much sometimes you would not expect it to happen. Like when Saruta dies by getting shot by a lot of arrows but he does not die immediately it was kind of jarring like there were many moments I did not expect the kind of violence that would happen in the story. I also found it interesting that the story progresses chronologically so you see the characters age or have children and it shifts to them being more of the main focus besides the Pheonix. It is also interesting when Osamu would put it comedic moments like making a break of the 4th wall kind of joke or even when there is some interesting action within the panel either used as a comedic device or something to give the story more of a flow too, like Osuma will sometimes have his characters break out of the panel or do something outside of the panel and I thought that was interesting. 

What is interesting about Pheonix from what I've read from vol 1 & 2 I feel like it could be read as stand-alone but I thought it was interesting that the story overall is almost chronological in a sense that volume 1's setting was very early era like no technology while volume 2 is very much into the future like flying cars, advance technology. I thought it was interesting and the Pheonix appearing throughout the eras in the volumes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Handmaid's Tale (6)

Lackadaisy Cats (5)

One Bad Rat 1-4 (4)