One Bad Rat 1-4 (4)

 I thought "The Tale of One Bad Rat" to be interesting like I thought the art was simple but naturalistic and I like the painted color choices which are interesting cause I feel like the colors used are not something typical in comics. I thought the series as a whole was interesting and had a good pace to it since you saw Helen's progression and growth from the hardships she experienced along with the abuse of her parents in the past. Honestly, even if I can't fully relate to Helen on everything I understand the feelings of wanting things to just end and just imagining it but coming back and saying to yourself no I have people who rely on me and all that like I really relate to that feeling. In terms of how Talbot illustrated Helen's trauma, I thought it was really well done without being graphic about it, as I knew by the heavy implications and I felt the sense of dread of her abuse and like when Helen remembers one of her traumatic experiences with her father and how the set of panels is just her father saying uncomfortable dialog with all-around red lighting and slowly zooming in on to his face ( which is creepy by the way) really set that experience for me. In the end, I'm glad it ended on a happy note, that Helen reads up on self-help books and eventually confronts her father and she finds a comfortable home for herself, along with her sketching and doing art again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lackadaisy Cats (5)

The Handmaid's Tale (6)